When many people hear of the herb Fenugreek their minds go straight to the kitchen… after all, isn’t it the herb that is used in many Mediterranean, Greek and Italian dishes? If you think that this is all that Fenugreek is good for you are in for a surprise it has recently been linked in testosterone boosting for men as well as an overall sexual enhancement. It has, in fact, been nicknamed nature’s natural aphrodisiac. But what are all the main benefits of Fenugreek and are there side effects?
Fenugreek and Testosterone
Fenugreek research as a testosterone booster began with Dr. Richard Kreider, an American professor who specialized in fitness and nutrition. According to him, the use of this herb was a natural way to help those who are looking to build muscle mass. Since then, there have been several studies to show that this herb is more than just a muscle builder. It can help men achieve better erections that they can sustain for longer. It is for this reason that Fenugreek has become a staple ingredient in testosterone boosting supplements.
It is true that there have been few studies that truly proves the entirety of the claims but the few that have been conducted showed a significant improvement on those who participated in the studies.
One of the most reliable was conducted by the Center for Integrative Clinical and Molecular Medicine. Some of the participants took Fenugreek twice a day while the others were given a placebo. In just 6 weeks, 30% of the ones who were taking fenugreek reported that their sex lives had improved significantly.
Researchers have pointed out that saponins, plant phytochemicals that have numerous health benefits, could be the reason why men experience increased testosterone production.
- Fenugreek has been shown to be a natural anti-inflammatory.
- If you look at many herbal websites you will see that they recommend fenugreek for things like sores, lesions, boils and other skin conditions. For it to work it is usually ground with a little bit of water into a paste which is then applied to the affected region.
- According to Commission E, a German organization that approves the use of herbs, fenugreek is also helpful in fighting gastritis as it produces mucilage that lines the gut preventing inflammation.
- Fenugreek seeds promote the production of bile which means that people who take them have reduced cholesterol levels the more bile your body produces the lower your cholesterol levels.
- If you have diabetes and are continuously taking medication for it you may want to try fenugreek seeds. They are one of nature’s most effective ways of naturally reducing blood sugar.
- Fenugreek is great when it comes to helping with digestion problems. We already mentioned that it helps fight gastric inflammation but that is not all. It has proven to be effective against constipation and it helps induce regular bowel movements.
- The mucilage produced when you eat Fenugreek seeds is also very effective in reducing heartburn and acid reflux. These are a cause of concern for many people all around the world. The simple treatment consists of mixing the seeds into your food or just taking a teaspoonful of the raw seeds with water, juice or milk before you sit down for a meal.
- Do you have ugly black heads left by pimples? Grind Fenugreek seeds into a paste and apply it regularly. Its anti-inflammatory properties eventually leave your skin clear.
- Fenugreek contains high levels of protein and nocitinic acid which are great for hair if you have thinning hair or hair that falls easily fortify it Fenugreek paste. The leaves have also been known to eliminate dandruff.
- Fenugreek, it turns out, is a great herb for pregnant women and lactating mothers. It contains high levels of iron that are necessary during pregnancy and it also reduces pain during labor. Once a woman has given birth she can continue to take Fenugreek for increased milk production.
- It is also a great aid against colon cancer because the mucus membrane that it produces protects the colon against any harmful substances that may pass through it.
- Lastly, Fenugreek is an effective weight loss herb. The seeds are soaked in water overnight and then eaten first thing in the morning. As they are so full of fiber they make one feel full and they also help the body to burn off extra fat.
Fenugreek Side Effects
- This is a natural herb that has proven to have no side effects when used as an herb for cooking.
- Like almost all things, when taken in large doses, there could be some minor side effects. Reports of bloating and gas can result from taking too much fenugreek.
- If you are taking prescription medications, you may want to check with your physician to see if Fenugreek might possibly interfere with the medications.
Fenugreek Benefits – Summary
Fenugreek is natural and its ability to increase testosterone levels is quite evident from the research that has been conducted to date. It also has a whole host of other health benefits for both men and women. Check out our top rated natural testosterone boosters here.
I’m not just a supplement analyst. I’m an extremely qualified one! I am a Certified Nutrition Coach (CNC) and actually received my certification directly from the National Academy of Sports Medicine. I am also a Nutrition & Wellness Consultant, certified by the American Fitness Professionals Association (AFPA).