Green drinks and superfood powders are a rapidly growing segment of the supplement industry. Greens powders can be used to increase your phytonutrient intake from superfood fruits and vegetables, as a meal replacement for weight loss, and to increase your energy levels. In this article, we will give our pick for the best green drink powder and explain what makes it superior.
We’ve extensively researched this market to find the top brands and most potent products. Through expert Supplement Facts Panel (SFP) analysis and personal experimentation, our NASM Certified Nutrition Coach has discovered the best greens powders on the market.
Green drink powder comparison chart (top 10 highest rated)
Superfoods per serving
Total Living Drink
Energy, gut health, weight loss, digestion
Energy, gut health
Amazing Grass Green Superfood
Energy, gut health
Garden of Life Greens
Digestion, gut health
Organifi Green Juice
Fermented Green Supremefood
Natures Plus Ultra Juice Green Powder
Patriot Power Greens
What are greens powders?
Greens powders are essentially combinations of different green superfoods that have already been juiced and powderized for you. These superfood supplements are the ultimate solution to getting all of your greens and nutrients in without having to worry about eating fruits and vegetables on a regular basis.
Think about it like this…you have two options. Option 1 is spending a bunch of time and money on vegetables & superfoods, then make sure you eat enough of them every day, and last but certainly not least, make sure you juice the superfoods before consumption in order to get all the phytonutrients out.
In comes Option 2: greens powders. Greens powders contain extremely healthy and nutritional superfoods that have been juiced and then converted into powder form (powderized) for convenience. So all you have to do is mix a scoop in with a cup of water, and just like that, you got all of your greens, vegetables of superfood servings in for the day.
The elements that greens powders contain like vegetables, algae, whole foods, fat soluble vitamins, and other greens are much more beneficial when consumed after being juiced as opposed to being simply consumed as a whole food. That is one of the many key benefits of greens powders as opposed to just eating greens. Yes, eating whole food items like Kale and Spinach is good for you, but you get way more phytonutrients when you juice these foods before consumption as is done in green powder supplements.
Most of the top greens powders are also gluten free, multivitamin rich (including lots of vitamin C for an immune boost), prebiotic and probiotic rich, certified organic, soy-free, and can function as effective detox supplements. You should still maintain a relatively healthy diet, but you don’t have to worry about getting your daily serving of fruits & veggies since a good greens powder effectively fulfills that need (and then some).
Are Greens Powders A Waste Of Money?
As a Certified Nutrition Coach, I often get asked this question…
Are green powders a waste of money? Definitely not, as long as you choose from one of the following best greens powder supplements. The health benefits of greens powders are truly endless including improved energy levels, immune system function, enhanced digestive health, liver health, skin health, anti inflammatory benefits, increased intake of fat soluble vitamins and whole foods, and a much more efficient gastrointestinal system and immune system as a result. Studies even suggest greens powders may potentially be able to help reduce risk of heart disease, which is amazing (but not yet proven).
The key to earning your ranking as one of the best greens powders on the market is the amount of superfoods you get in every serving. Kylea’s Total Living Drink Greens blew every other supplement on the list out of the water in this category with a whopping 15,000 milligrams of superfoods per serving in their greens blend! No other greens blend came even close to being this potent…but we’ll get more into that later. First, let’s talk about how to evaluate greens powders…
What Are The Most Common Greens Powder Ingredients?
Greens powders typically contain a variety of nutrient-dense ingredients that are considered beneficial for overall health and well-being. While the specific ingredients can vary depending on the product and brand, here are some common ingredients you may find in superfood powder supplements:
- Greens: These are often the core of superfood powders and may include ingredients like spinach, kale, spirulina, chlorella, wheat grass, barley grass, and alfalfa grass. These greens are rich in vitamins, minerals, and chlorophyll.
- Fruits: Many superfood powders include a range of fruits such as berries (e.g. blueberries, strawberries, acai berries), pomegranates, goji berries, and acerola cherries. These fruits provide antioxidants, vitamins, and natural sweetness.
- Vegetables: In addition to leafy greens, superfood powders may contain other vegetables like broccoli, carrots, beets, and sweet potatoes. These vegetables contribute vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
- Herbs and Spices: Superfood blends may incorporate herbs and spices like turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, and parsley. These ingredients offer anti-inflammatory and digestive benefits.
- Seeds and Nuts: Flaxseeds, chia seeds, hemp seeds, and almonds are common additions to provide healthy fats, fiber, and protein.
- Mushrooms: Medicinal mushrooms like reishi, shiitake, and lion’s mane are sometimes included for their immune-boosting and cognitive benefits.
- Probiotics and Prebiotics: Some superfood powders contain probiotic strains (e.g., Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium) and prebiotic fibers to support gut health. The probiotic blend is a very important consideration due to the tremendous role your gut health plays in your overall health. Always make sure to pick a superfood powder that has a strong probiotic blend.
- Adaptogenic Herbs: Adaptogens like ashwagandha, rhodiola, and maca are included in some superfood powders for their stress-reducing and energy-boosting properties.
- Superfood Extracts: Superfood powders often contain concentrated extracts from ingredients like green tea, ginseng, or acai, which are rich in antioxidants and phytonutrients.
- Digestive Enzymes: Some formulations include digestive enzymes like amylase, protease, and lipase to aid in the digestion and absorption of nutrients.
- Sweeteners: Natural sweeteners such as stevia, monk fruit extract, or coconut sugar are used to enhance flavor without adding refined sugars.
- Fiber: Ingredients like psyllium husk or inulin may be included to boost fiber content and support digestive health.
- Plant-Based Proteins: Some superfood powders contain plant-based protein sources like pea protein, rice protein, or hemp protein to enhance the protein content of the supplement. Our top ranked option has an amazing plant protein blend.
- Vitamins and Minerals: Greens powder supplements may be fortified with vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin C, vitamin D, calcium, and magnesium, to provide a more comprehensive nutrient profile.
- Antioxidants: Superfood blends often focus on antioxidants like resveratrol, quercetin, and catechins to combat oxidative stress and promote cellular health. The top options always have very potent antioxidant blend formulas. The antioxidant blend is key when it comes to detoxifying your body.
- Detoxifying Ingredients: Ingredients like milk thistle, dandelion root, and burdock root may be included in greens powder formulas to support the body’s detoxification processes.
It’s important to note that the specific combination and proportions of these ingredients can vary widely among different superfood powder products. When choosing a superfood powder supplement, it’s essential to read the product label carefully to understand the ingredients, serving size, and potential allergens or additives. Additionally, consult with a healthcare professional before adding any new dietary supplement to your routine, especially if you have underlying health conditions or are taking medications.
What Are The Benefits of Greens Powders & Superfoods?
Superfoods are a category of nutrient-dense foods that are exceptionally rich in vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and other beneficial compounds. Incorporating superfoods into your diet can offer a wide range of health benefits. Here are some of the key advantages of consuming superfoods as part of a whole greens powder supplement:
- Nutrient Density: Superfoods are packed with essential vitamins and minerals, providing a concentrated source of nutrients in relatively small servings. They can help ensure you meet your daily nutritional needs.
- Antioxidant Power: Many superfoods are rich in antioxidants, such as vitamins C and E, beta-carotene, and polyphenols. Antioxidants help combat oxidative stress, reduce inflammation, and protect cells from damage caused by free radicals.
- Heart Health: Superfoods like berries, fatty fish (e.g., salmon), and nuts are associated with improved heart health. They can help lower cholesterol levels, reduce blood pressure, and support overall cardiovascular function.
- Weight Management: Superfoods like leafy greens, chia seeds, and berries are low in calories but high in fiber, making them ideal for weight management. They promote a feeling of fullness and help control calorie intake.
- Healthy Digestion: Superfoods like yogurt, kefir, and kimchi contain probiotics that support a healthy gut microbiome and promote healthy digestion. A balanced gut microbiome is crucial for overall well-being.
- Bone Health: Superfoods like dairy products, leafy greens, and fortified foods provide essential nutrients like calcium, vitamin D, and vitamin K, which are important for bone health and reducing the risk of osteoporosis.
- Cognitive Function: Some superfoods, such as fatty fish, walnuts, and blueberries, are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, and other brain-boosting nutrients that support cognitive function and reduce the risk of cognitive decline. In this way, these nutrients can also help boost your brain’s energy levels.
- Skin Health: Superfoods like avocados, almonds, and fatty fish provide healthy fats, vitamins, and antioxidants that promote radiant and youthful-looking skin while protecting it from UV damage.
- Anti-Inflammatory Effects: Superfoods like turmeric, ginger, and green tea contain anti-inflammatory compounds that can help reduce chronic inflammation, a common factor in various diseases.
- Blood Sugar Control: Some superfoods, such as cinnamon and chia seeds, may help stabilize blood sugar levels, making them beneficial for individuals with diabetes or those looking to prevent blood sugar spikes.
- Detoxification: Superfoods like leafy greens, beets, and spirulina support the body’s natural detoxification processes by providing nutrients that aid in the removal of toxins and waste products.
- Immune Support: Superfoods like citrus fruits, garlic, and mushrooms are rich in vitamins, minerals, and immune-boosting compounds that enhance the body’s defense against infections. The best greens powders out there truly do an amazing job of boosting immunity.
- Eye Health: Superfoods like carrots, sweet potatoes, and spinach are high in beta-carotene and lutein, which are essential for maintaining healthy vision and reducing the risk of eye diseases like macular degeneration and cataracts.
- Longevity: Consuming a diet rich in superfoods may contribute to longevity by reducing the risk of chronic diseases, supporting overall health, and promoting a longer, healthier life. This is why the best greens powders can be so life changing. I referenced several clinical studies at the end of this article that have proven the benefits of the ingredients they use.
It’s important to note that while superfoods offer numerous health benefits, they are most effective when used together like they are in a good greens powder formula. Incorporating a wide range of superfoods can help ensure that you receive a diverse array of nutrients to support overall health and well-being, and that’s exactly what the best greens powders can do for you.
Additionally, individual dietary needs and health goals may vary, so it’s advisable to consult with a healthcare professional or registered dietitian to create a personalized nutrition plan. I’m not a doctor, but I am a NASM-Certified Nutrition Coach, and I recommend the #1 ranked greens powder below to my clients all the time. So, without further adieu, here are the best greens powders according to a Certified Nutrition Coach!
Greens Powders Vs. Green Vegetables: Which is better?
Greens powders can provide a convenient way to supplement your diet with a variety of nutrients found in organic greens, offering potential health benefits. However, there are some factors to consider when comparing the benefits of organic greens powders to whole organic greens:
- Greens Powders: Many greens powders are formulated to include a broad spectrum of nutrients, including vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and phytonutrients. However, the nutrient diversity might not be as comprehensive as that found in a varied diet of whole green vegetables.
- Green Vegetables: Whole vegetables offer a wider array of nutrients in their natural form, providing a more complex nutritional profile.
- Greens Powders: The bioavailability of nutrients in greens powders can vary based on factors such as processing methods and the inclusion of enhancers like black pepper extract. Some nutrients may be less bioavailable than those in whole foods.
- Greens: Nutrients in whole foods are often in their natural form, potentially enhancing bioavailability and absorption.
- Greens Powders: While some greens powders include added fiber, they may not provide the same amount or type of fiber as whole green vegetables. Dietary fiber is crucial for digestive health and supporting a healthy gut microbiome.
- Greens: Whole vegetables are naturally rich in dietary fiber, contributing to satiety, regular bowel movements, and a healthy digestive system.
- Greens Powders: Phytonutrient content can vary in greens powders, and the processing involved may affect the levels of these beneficial compounds.
- Greens: Whole vegetables contain a diverse range of phytonutrients, which have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
Taste and Palatability
- Greens Powders: Some people find the taste of greens powders less palatable than whole vegetables. However, mixing powders into smoothies or other beverages can improve taste.
- Greens: Whole vegetables offer a variety of textures and flavors, contributing to a more satisfying eating experience.
- Greens Powders: Greens powders provide a convenient and portable option for obtaining nutrients, especially for individuals with busy lifestyles.
- Greens: Preparing and cooking whole vegetables may require more time and effort.
- Greens Powders: The production and packaging of supplements can have environmental implications, depending on the manufacturing processes and sourcing of ingredients.
- Greens: Choosing locally sourced and seasonally available vegetables can contribute to a lower environmental impact.
What are the best greens powders on the market? Here’s our top 10 list:
1. Total Living Drink Greens (best greens powder overall)
Total Living Drink Greens by Kylea Health & Energy is an all-inclusive green superfood powder drink. Delivering 40 grams of nutrition per serving, including 11 grams of vegan pea protein and over 15 grams of powerful superfoods, this is far and away the most nutritional greens powder on the market. No other greens powder comes even close to being as potent as this one. Just think about how many cups of vegetables you would have to eat to match what this product offers in one scoop!
Plus, Total Living Drink Greens doesn’t just stop at superfoods and greens. It also provides probiotics, digestive enzymes, a potent detoxifying blend of antioxidants, adaptogens, herbs, protein powder, organic sprout blend, vitamins and minerals, and more! We are talking about an absolute nutritional powerhouse here. To put it into perspective, the next best green drink powder contains 50% less superfoods per serving. That’s how big of a quality gap there is between Total Living Drink Greens and the rest of the industry.
We’re not just talking about any superfoods here either. It contains strictly the best organic farm fresh ingredients (all of which are non gmo) including the two most powerful superfoods on the market, which are Spirulina and Chlorella. Plus, it contains very healthy dosages of organic wheat grass, organic barley grass, organic fennel seed, kale, acai, monk fruit extract, milk thistle, alfalfa grass, oat grass, vitamin K, plenty of leafy greens, and strictly 100% non-GMO USDA certified organic ingredients made right here in the United States. The list of health benefits is truly endless with this exceptionally nutritious superfood blend, which can help with your digestive health, immune system, gut health, weight loss, anti inflammatory benefits, and much more.
Last but not least, this is the best tasting greens powder on the market. They don’t add any artificial sweeteners, added sugars, stevia, or anything that is not organic. They actually use natural blueberry flavoring to help enhance the flavor, which we love. The natural blueberry flavoring tastes amazing, and there’s nothing unhealthy about it! It contains no added sugar, no artificial flavors, and no other artificial sweeteners whatsoever.
Also, for people who don’t like the taste of green drinks, they offer another version of the product called Total Living Drink Berry. The Berry version is just as potent in terms of superfoods per serving and overall nutrition, but it has higher dosages of berry ingredients, which creates a delicious fruity taste. Both versions of the Total Living Drink have been third party tested as well, which means we know 100% for certain what the ingredients are…complete transparency!
2. Supergreen Tonik
Supergreen Tonik is a new green drink on the market that we really love. It has 15 different superfoods as well as plenty of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. This is a very potent formula, and the selection of superfoods is excellent including our three favorite super greens: Chlorella, Spirulina, and Barley Grass. But that’s not the best part…
What I really love about Supergreen Tonik is the transparency of the formula. They do not use a proprietary blend, which means we can see the individual dosages for every single ingredient. This way, we can know for a fact that we are getting sufficient dosage sizes for all of the best superfood ingredients. Transparency is very important to us, and it’s what really separates the two best green drinks on the market (the Total Living Drink, which is our top ranked greens powder, and Supergreen Tonik) from the rest of them.
I really can’t emphasize enough how big of a quality gap there is after the top two ranked products. In other words, I would (and do) strongly recommend either the Total Living Drink or Supergreen Tonik. Every other greens powder on this list lacks potency, uses a proprietary blend, or has another major con to it that ultimately makes it a product I would never recommend to my clients as a nutrition coach. My advice is a Certified Nutrition Coach is honestly to go with the Total Living Drink, but if I HAD to recommend a back up option, it would be Supergreen Tonik.
3. Athletic Greens (good super greens powder for athletes)
Athletic Greens is one of the most popular greens powder drinks in the industry, but does it really live up to the hype? Before I get into my breakdown of Athletic Greens, I’d like to first emphasize a very important point. The Total Living Drink (the #1 ranked greens powder on this list) is FAR more potent and WAY more effective than every other option on this list. I don’t mean to bash the rest of the green drinks, but I do feel that it’s very important for me to emphasize how much of a quality gap there is between the #1 top ranked (Total Living Drink Greens) and everything else. Nutritionally speaking, the TLD just blows every other product out of the water.
Anyways, let’s talk about Athletic Greens. It is a pretty comprehensive blend of largely organic non gmo superfoods including fruits and vegetables such as organic lemon peel, organic broccoli, organic aloe vera, and plenty more healthy goodies. Additionally, the greens blend also contains a robust antioxidant and herbal profile, along with dairy-free probiotics, digestive enzymes, and vitamins and minerals. It has the second most potent nutritional superfood blend on the market, and it’s actually one of the best-tasting green drinks out there…BUT…
With all of that being said, again it’s extremely important to understand how big of a quality gap there is between our #1 and our #2 ranked best green juice powders. Total Living Drink Greens provides 50% more superfoods per serving (15,000 MG) than Athletic Greens does (10,000 MG). That’s an extra 5,000 milligrams of superfoods per serving for the exact same price…just want to make sure our readers are aware of this.
This point can not be overlooked. Additionally, the Total Living Drink greens powder contains way more probiotics, digestive enzymes, & vitamins and minerals. The Total Living Drink is just so complete and comprehensive, I’ve never seen anything like it…okay I’m done ranting about it, I promise! The other issue with Athletic Greens is that it has not been third party tested as far as I know. Another one of the downfalls of it in my personal experience is that it’s not the best tasting greens powder.
SEE CURRENT PRICING
4. Vibrant Health Green Vibrance (best for probiotics)
Green Vibrance is one of the top organic greens powder supplements due to its very potent non gmo superfood blend, which contains fruits and vegetables such as Barley Grass, Wheat Grass, Spirulina, Alfalfa Grass, and many more superfoods to ultimately clock in at around 9,600 milligrams worth in every serving. This is a pretty solid serving size for a greens blend, especially when you add onto it the fact that Green Vibrance provides 25 billion probiotics per serving. That’s a pretty healthy probiotics dosage.
With that said, I do again want to make a note of the fact that our #1 ranked greens powder contains over 50% more superfoods, plus it also contains more probiotics. Even though we have Green Vibrance ranked as best for probiotics, we have Total Living Drink Greens ranked as best greens powder overall for a reason…it is the best in every facet. Whether it’s superfoods, probiotics, digestive enzymes, herbs, you name it, nothing beats our top ranked green powder. Read the complete review of this supplement below to see the full ingredient list and learn more about the organically farmed green juice blend.
SEE CURRENT PRICING
5. Amazing Grass Green Superfood (best for weight loss)
Amazing Grass Green Superfood is a very solid certified organic greens powder that provides a serving size of 7,000 milligrams of superfoods in every scoop concluding fruits and vegetables like Barley Grass, Rhodiola Rosea (as part of their mushroom blend), Flax Seeds, Chia Seeds, and more. 7,000 MG may not sound like a lot compared to the greens supplements ranked more highly than this one, but the selection of particular superfoods in this greens blend is very impressive. It has several important kinds of grass and micronutrients in it that are pretty hard to find and very healthy. They are particularly great for your digestive system, plus the product is made in the United States, which is crucial.
Our top ranked greens powder is over twice as potent and is significantly better overall, but Amazing Grass Green Superfood is still one of the top options available. Again, I don’t recommend it because it doesn’t come anywhere near as powerful and potent as my top recommendation, but it’s a solid supplement.
I have also conducted an Amazing Grass Alkalize and Detox review, which is essentially a separate product they created to make up for what this product quite honestly lacks. That product was created primarily by alkalizing farm fresh greens, which is a topic for another article. With that said, the top ranked greens powder (Total Living Drink Greens) contains a TON of alkalized farm fresh greens, so you get more than enough if you end up choosing that greens powder.
You get a carefully selected combination of very beneficial non gmo organic nutrients as well as some probiotics and digestive enzymes to help round out the formula and support maximum absorption of the many fruits and vegetables you are consuming. Outside of the formula and ingredients, one of the biggest problems with it is that it is certainly not the best tasting greens powder.
6. Garden of Life Raw Organic Perfect Food (best sugar free option)
The Garden of Life Raw Organic Perfect Food greens powder ranks right in the middle of our top ten greens supplements list because there are some things we really love about it and other things we think could be improved. We love their selection of raw, organic greens that will undoubtedly lead to many benefits for the user. It contains some of the most high quality superfoods in the world, which is awesome. It’s also completely sugar free (less than 1 naturally occurring gram) and stevia free.
What we don’t like about Garden of Life Raw Organic Perfect Food greens powder is the fact that the superfood blend isn’t as potent as we’d like it to be. It’s significantly less nutritious than our top ranked greens powders with a serving size of only 7,000 milligrams of superfoods. Plus, the fact that Garden of Life Raw Organic Perfect Food contains no flavor enhancers whatsoever makes it taste pretty bad. This product was third party tested by yours truly, and I can tell you first hand the taste is not good.
Aside from that, this is a pretty solid greens powder considering the organically farmed green juice blend. A lot of people ask me about Athletic Greens Vs Garden of Life Raw Organic Perfect Food in terms of which one is the better product. I could give a very long answer to this question, but the bottom line is that I would recommend neither one. To answer the question, Athletic Greens is better than Garden of Life Raw Organic Perfect Food nutritionally speaking…however, neither product is comprehensive or potent enough for me to feel comfortable recommending.
7. Organifi Green Juice (best tasting but not enough green foods)
Organifi Green Juice provides a pretty significant amount of green superfood ingredients in every serving at about 6,500 milligrams. We love the selection of non gmo superfoods in this greens blend as many of the most key nutrients are included, and they have added Green Tea to further help boost energy levels. Organifi clearly put a lot of time and thought into this carefully designed greens powder formula. Plus, the added flavoring makes it one of the best tasting greens powder supplements I have tried!
However, there are some pretty significant downfalls. It contains less than half the superfoods per serving than our top ranked best greens powder…that is very significant because it means half the nutrients, half the vitamins and minerals, half the benefits, etc. Plus, our top choice tastes delicious too, so there’s really no reason to choose an option that is less nutritious such as the Organifi Green Juice greens powder. It’s no small feat to have made it onto this list considering how tough the greens powder market is, but Organifi simply is not worthy of being considered a top 5 highest quality greens powder.
8. Shakeology (top brand in the industry)
Shakeology is actually just an average greens powder in all honesty. The main reason it made this list is because, as mentioned above, Shakeology is one of the top green superfood brands in the space. Many people use and trust Shakeology products, which gives them an edge over other companies in the space. However, if we look at the Supplement Facts Panel, this really is just a mediocre greens powder.
It provides 6,500 milligrams worth of green superfood nutrients, which is less than half of our top ranked greens powder, and still 40% less green superfood ingredients per serving than even our #2 ranked option. Shakeology tastes good and the brand has a great reputation, but in terms of nutrition and supplement facts, this product is really just average. Additionally, the greens blend severely lacks potency. But hey, at least its non gmo.
9. Fermented Green Supremefood (high alkaline option)
Fermented Green Supremefood is a solid greens powder drink that has a unique approach to superfoods. It uses fermented, organic grasses such as Wheat Grass, Barley Grass, Oat Grass, organic coconut milk powder, and other well-known organic green superfood ingredients, which is great, but the product is less potent than other types of superfoods in terms of the total amount of nutrients in every serving. This is a pretty good greens blend, and the product is affordable.
However, we must again come back to the supplement facts and the value. The most important consideration is how many superfoods you are getting in every serving, and this number is far too low at only 5,200 milligrams. That is one third of the amount you would get with our top greens powder, which is a major issue. It’s not enough to just provide high quality nutrient dense natural herbs…they must also be dosed properly, or there really is no point to consuming them.
10. Natures Plus Ultra Juice Green Powder (good for keto dieters)
Natures Plus Super Greens is in all honesty a pretty average greens powder, and when it comes to green superfood ingredients, it’s actually below average at only 5,200 milligrams of superfoods. However, it does contain great ingredients for people who are on the keto diet. Many keto dieters enjoy greens powders because most of them are consumable even for people on diets since they are so healthy.
While there are some excellent ingredients in here that may benefit people on the keto diet, this is overall not one of the best greens powders on the market due to its lack of potency. It is also lacking in the vitamins and minerals department, and it’s a bit low in terms of the sheer amount of nutrient dense natural herbs in particular. It just isn’t anywhere near as nutritious as the top ranked options on this list.
11. Patriot Power Greens (supercharge your smoothie)
Patriot Power Greens is a high-quality organic superfood green drink powder made by Patriot Health Alliance. With an emphasis on alkalizing superfoods that also help reduce inflammation in the body, this formula is less potent than many others, but also costs less. It also contains probiotics and digestive enzymes and tastes pretty decent for a green drink. It is missing one key ingredient that many greens powders use in order to provide electrolytes, and that’s organic coconut milk powder.
This is nowhere near being one of the most nutritious or potent greens powders on the market, but for the money, it’s not bad. You certainly won’t see the Patriot Power Greens powder moving any higher up on this list unless they significantly increase the amount of green superfood ingredients and veggies, which is currently only at 2,500 milligrams…that’s an incredibly low dosage for a super greens powder when compared to the others on this list.
12. Spruce Greens
Spruce Greens is a non gmo organic greens powder that we felt was worth adding to the list due to the fact that it provides just over 5,000 milligrams of superfoods. That’s a pretty solid amount. Add in to the equation the fact that Spruce Greens also contains probiotics and digestive enzymes, and you’ve got yourself a pretty decent super greens powder. The nutrition panel is not too shabby.
However, there is a reason it’s not in our top 5 and is instead at the very bottom of this list. For the sake of simplicity, let’s compare it to our top ranked greens powder, which has 15,000 milligrams of superfoods. It’s really that simple…the top ranked option (Total Living Drink) is 3 times as potent as Spruce Greens. Not only that, but they cost the exact same price. Therefore, the choice is truly a no brainer. This supplement very clearly belongs at the bottom of our list of the best greens powder supplements.
13. Nested Naturals Super Greens
Want to talk about popular greens powders? Here’s an interesting fact: the most popular greens powder on Amazon is the Nested Naturals Super Greens powder. However, if I’m being completely honest, I have no idea why that is the case. In my review of the Nested Naturals Super Greens powder, which you can see if you click the link below, I explain in depth why this greens powder is truly nothing to write home about. It comes in at about 8,000 milligrams worth of super greens per serving. Again, the number one ranked best greens powder on this list contains 15,000 MG of super greens…so, why is this one even worth including on the list?
Yes, our top ranked greens supplement is literally twice as potent as the Nested Naturals Super Greens powder. However, when a supplement gets this popular, I feel that it’s almost a necessity to include it on the list just to make sure people know where I stand on it as a Certified Nutrition Coach. In case it’s not obvious yet, I do not recommend the Nested Naturals Super Greens powder to any of my clients to due the lack of potency when compared to the many greens powders on the market that are significantly stronger and more effective. It’s not a bad supplement, but that doesn’t change the fact that many greens powders on the market are significantly BETTER supplements.
What’s the best greens powder? Our conclusion
In conclusion, TOTAL LIVING DRINK is far and away the best greens powder on the market. To be honest, it’s really not even close. When it comes to green drink powders, the superfood blend is the most important part of the formula, and Total Living Drink Greens provides by far the most superfoods in every serving at 15,000 milligrams.
But let’s not stop there…looking even beyond the superfood blend, Total Living Drink Greens also contains the most probiotics per serving, the most digestive enzymes, and the most antioxidants. It also is the only superfood powder on this list that contains vegan protein powder in the formula, which is a great bonus. You can check out the full ingredient list by reading our review of the product.
Lastly, it may be hard to think that a supplement this nutritious can possibly taste good, but the makers of this product (Kylea Health & Energy) have been around for 30 years. They’ve spent a lot of time finding a way to make their greens powder taste good without sacrificing the organic nature of the formula. The natural blueberry flavoring they added perfectly masks the taste of the greens and makes it taste really great.
Plus, for people who don’t like the taste of green drinks, they offer another version of their product called Total Living Drink Berry. It’s essentially the exact same product in terms of nutrition and superfoods per serving, but it has higher dosages of berry ingredients, which makes it taste delicious, especially when the powder is mixed in as part of a smoothie.
The bottom line: I’m not a registered dietician or a doctor, but I am a NASM Certified Nutrition Coach with over 10 years of experience in the supplement industry. I can say beyond any reasonable doubt that the Total Living Drink is hands down the best green powder for smoothies and general superfood supplementation I have ever seen. Plus, it has been third party tested (so you know you can trust the company) as well as tested by yours truly, and I love it! I drink it every day with my morning smoothie!
FYI: I’m not the only one who loves the Total Living Drink! Plenty of other review sites and fitness blogs have ranked the TLD as one of their most highly recommended best greens powder supplements. One of my favorite supplement blogs is called Barbend. I often read their content, and I actually factor their opinions into my reviews. Check out this Barbend article about the best greens powder supplements, which also highly recommends the Kylea Total Living Drink.
While I do love Barbend, one site I would recommend avoiding is VeryWell Fit. I don’t necessarily have anything against VeryWell Fit, but I have read their bet greens powder article, and I didn’t agree with any of their recommendations. It just seemed to me that at least when it comes to greens powders, VeryWell Fit doesn’t quite know their stuff as well as I do (or as well as Barbend does for that matter).
Do green drink powders help with bloating?
Yes, many of the best greens powder supplements do help with bloating due to the high concentration of digestive enzymes and probiotics, which are excellent for gut health. These enzymes can help ensure your body is able to properly digest and absorb nutrients, thereby preventing bloating. It is also a well researched fact that increasing your intake of fruits and vegetables can reduce bloating, and that’s exactly what you’re doing with a greens supplement. However, you should always direct these types of questions to your primary health care provider before taking a supplement.
Are powdered greens as good as fresh?
Yes, powdered greens are as good as fresh leafy greens. Powdered greens are actually BETTER than fresh leafy greens in several ways, believe it or not. The reason powdered greens are better is that they have actually already been juiced and then converted into powder form. Juiced greens are better than regular un-juiced fresh greens, and therefore, powdered greens are ideal…plus, you do NOT lose any grams of fiber or other valuable nutrients during the powdering process. You just have to make sure you thoroughly examine the ingredient list. However, you should always direct these questions to your primary health care provider before taking any supplement.
What should I look for in a greens powder?
The first thing you should look for is a highly potent and nutritious superfood blend on the supplement label, also known as the ingredient label. How many superfoods are in the formula? What is the overall potency of the greens blend? You should also make sure your greens powder contains digestive enzymes and probiotics. Green tea extract is a also healthy addition. Also, make sure it is non gmo, made in the United States, third party tested, has no added sugars or artificial sweeteners and has high fiber content.
Third party testing is crucial because it proves that the formula is exactly what the company says it is. In other words, third party testing verifies every last ingredient and the dosage to ensure the company isn’t making false claims. I strictly recommend supplements that have undergone third party testing to my clients.
It also helps if the green powder is USDA certified organic. It is very hard to find one that is USDA certified organic, so I wouldn’t say this is an absolute necessity by any means…its just a bonus. Supplement companies have a very hard time getting the USDA certified organic stamp, and it’s not because the products are bad…it’s just because the FDA is very strict when it comes to qualifying something as USDA certified organic.
One more thing you should like into is whether or not the company selling it offers a money back guarantee. Most reputable supplement companies will offer you a money back guarantee should you decide you do not like the product. If you are buying a quality supplement, you hopefully won’t have to worry about using the money back guarantee, but it’s nice to know you have the option to return it and get your money back.
Lastly, it never hurts to have a registered dietician or a doctor take a look at the supplement before trying it. Or at the very least, have your doctor or primary health care provider take a look before you start taking it. Remember, these are just the best greens powder supplements on the market in my opinion as a Certified Nutrition Coach…your primary health care provider always knows best!
- University of Nebraska study
- Harvard.edu study
- The Effect of Fruit And Vegetable Powder Mix on Hypertensive subjects: a pilot study
- The Impact of a dried fruit and vegetable supplement and fiber rich shake on gut and health parameters in female healthcare workers: a placebo-controlled, double-blind, randomized clinical trial
- Fruit and vegetable concentrate supplementation and cardiovascular health: a systematic review from a public health perspective
- Probiotics, their prophylactic and therapeutic applications in human health development: A review of the literature
I’m not just a supplement analyst. I’m an extremely qualified one! I am a Certified Nutrition Coach (CNC) and actually received my certification directly from the National Academy of Sports Medicine. I am also a Nutrition & Wellness Consultant, certified by the American Fitness Professionals Association (AFPA).